Monday 14 May 2018

Busy Pond

A Sunday evening stroll to the pond turned into a checklist with nearly 30 species! After already recording four FOYs earlier in the day (Wood Duck, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Red-breasted Nuthatch, and American Redstart), I was able to record 7 more at the pond! These seven species were Black Tern, Least Sandpiper, Semipalmated Sandpiper, Wilson's Phalarope, Spotted Sandpiper, Greater Yellowlegs, and an American Pipit! Additionally, the Least Sandpiper, Semipalmated Sandpiper, and American Pipit were all lifers!

This Least Sandpiper was quite obliging for some photos!

Least Sandpiper

Least Sandpiper

Least Sandpiper
The Wilson's Phalarope is an interesting species of bird. First, the females are more brightly colored than the males who adopt a more drab, brownish plumage. This is confusing to many birders and I often find myself calling certain individuals by the wrong pronoun. Also, their feeding technique is a spectacle to watch. These little birds spin around and around in the water, presumably stirring up food from the bottom and snatching the choice morsels out of the water. Watching a number of these in the water will keep you entertained for a long time. It also helps that they look stunning (at least the females do).

Female Wilson's Phalarope

Wilson's Phalarope Pair
Palm Warblers were abundant along the shoreline! Not a very common warbler to see, so I was happy to be able to get a couple pictures of some. Here is one:

Palm Warbler
Couldn't resist taking another photo of these Phalaropes!

Wilson's Phalarope pair
Savannah Sparrows are a common sight in my area, and they buzzy song is what really makes me feel like summer is back. The Meadowlark singing is my sign of spring, and the Savannah Sparrow is the sign of summer.

Savannah Sparrow
These Phalaropes... I think I'm addicted

Female Wilson's Phalarope

Wilson's Phalarope pair
The American Pipit was certainly the highlight of the day! I wasn't sure what it was until I went home and checked by photos with a field guide in front of me. Definitely glad I took some pictures of this otherwise drab looking bird.

American Pipit
And last but not least, a Brown-headed Cowbird stopping by for a drink. Some see these birds as nuisances but I quite enjoy their calls and watching the males interact while fighting for a female's attention.

Male Brown-headed Cowbird
Hope you enjoyed this post! Make sure to get outside and see what birds are in your area! May is the time to find birds that aren't normally seen in your area... make the most of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment